When I replied to comments on my previous post, Know How Google Changes Affect both Ezinearticles and You, I caught a point Justin brought up that I actually planned for my next post. The question he asked was:
With Google filtering out and devaluing duplicated content, I wonder how the eZineArticles plugin for WordPress will help bloggers who publish articles and then sync them to eZineArticles. Since the original article will be on the bloggers blog will Google know this and lower the rank / SERP of the eZineArticle version or will it give priority to the eZineArticle version causing your post to lose ranking and traffic? Many bloggers sync articles from blog to eZineArticles and this will have a big impact I predict.
This is a very valuable point and before I quote Chris Knight, CEO of EzineArticles.com, I want to give you some very good advice. I know you want your blog to be found on Google’s search engines, even though you spew fire every time their brands name comes up because of what they did to you or your friends’ online businesses. You relationship to Ezinearticles can still flourish, if like with Google, you play by their rules. My best advice to you today would be;
Delete the Ezinearticles WorPress plugin now!
The reason is because you should now by now, if you read my previous article, that EzineArticles has been hard hit by google since last Thursday (24 February) because Google did some changes to their algorithm. Because of those changes EA have lost almost half their traffic since then, and if you post articles there to gain traffic, so did you. What has this got to do with the plugin? Let’s first see what Chris said;
Our WordPress Plugin will sunset this week and we will no longer accept article submissions via WordPress directly.
This has been reiterated by by Penny, Managing Editor of EzineArticles. So let me break it down for you.
- Your WP plugin won’t send the article to EA anymore, so don’t send it there thinking it’s been submitted. You’ll have to do it the old fashioned way
- The reason EA snuffed the plugins acceptance is because of the duplicate content on their directory which caused their page slip in the first place. I spoke to Dean Saliba from INeedDiscipline the other day and he said he would only submit articles that’s a year old since they’ve already dropped.Not even this would work anymore.
- And since the Plugin doesn’t work anymore you best write original content and submit it to EA like the rest of us.
- Inactive plugins are not good for your blog anyway as they cause problems with loading and can even crash your database.
So what is the skinny? Delete the plugin as the content, if it slips through is only going to harm you. Then be honorable, towards yourself and the rest of us, and write original content for EzineArticles and the game will still work for you. Only those who play by the rules can win the game.
What other plugins do you know of that may have become redundant in the light of recent changes?
- Demand Media Escapes Google’s Content Farm Pesticide (fastcompany.com)
- Daily Tip: Remove Unwanted Plugins From Your WordPress Site (pressography.com)