The days of newspapers and magazines are almost over as most people rely on the Internet to learn the latest news and find the information they need. The Internet practices and trends constantly change and web developers have to keep up with them in order to maintain the ranking and popularity. However, this costs money, so if you are planning to improve your website, then you must make sure that your investment will soon pay off and you’ll be able to profit more than you invested. Undisputedly, one of the biggest improvements you can introduce to your website is to make it mobile-friendly.
If you have owned a website for a while, then you’ve probably went through several different stages of its development. In the beginning you had just several static pages, but then your website became more dynamic and offered more functions. Nowadays, it is also important to have a mobile-friendly website which is easily accessible by any mobile device. You can be sure that this drastic improvement will significantly increase your revenue and keep your business on top of your competitors.
If you are still not absolutely sure that a mobile-friendly website is necessary, then check these statistics which come from some of the most major Internet traffic analysts:
- 28% of Internet usage worldwide is generated from mobile devices
- 35% of the traffic to The New York Times’ website is generated from mobile devices.
- 46% of mobile internet users state that they won’t return to a website if it isn’t optimized for their mobile device
- Over 90% of smartphone users always have their devices around them
- 90% of mobile searches usually lead to actions by the user, and 50% lead to action
- It is expected that the usage of mobile internet will become higher than desktop internet usage in the next 3 years.
If you have ever read something about website designing, then you probably know that most browsers display websites in a different way unless the website is specifically optimized for each type of browser. The situation is the same when talking about mobile browsers. Nowadays smartphones are very developed and there are all kinds of web browsers that can be used to access the Internet via your smartphone. This is why it is important to research the most used mobile browsers and optimize your website for them, so that you can reach a wider audience.
Optimizing your website for mobile devices involves more than just rewriting the code or introducing a stand-alone version for smartphones. Keep in mind that the screens of smartphones aren’t as large as those on desktop monitors, so the user has to scroll through a lot of content before he reaches what he is looking for. This is why you need to rearrange your website and make the most important content easily accessible. Convenient navigation is the key to having a truly mobile-friendly website. Some good examples for such optimization are:
- If you’re the owner of a store and you have to optimize your website for mobiles, then what do you want your clients to do? If you want them to visit your store, then it is a good idea to put your address and driving directions in an easy to reach place.
- If you want users to contact your store, then you should position a contact form and your contact details in a visible place, on top of all other content.
- If you are the owner of an online store, then you must work hard in order to optimize the product listings and search functions for mobile devices.
- If you are a blogger, then you might want to find a way to make comments easily accessible and improve social media integration.
Another important aspect of mobile-friendly websites is advertising. It isn’t convenient to use regular banners for your mobile website, so it is a good idea to look into some advertisement for mobile-friendly websites. One of the most popular examples is Google’s AdSense. The software giant offers unique mobile-friendly AdSense advertisements which will perfectly fit in your website and won’t have a negative impact on its performance. Before building and creating your website it helps to check around and do some site builder reviews to find out what is being offered, which services can help you design a website that is mobile friendly and read as well as giving the experience you want to desktop browser users.