For those who have yet to hear the news, the jailbreak for iOS 6.1 is finally out! The current jailbreak application under RedSnOw supports Apple gadgets from the 4th generation onwards, and not for the older models. If you own an older version of an iPad, iPhone or iPod, you may have to go for the tethered jailbreak option instead. Option 3 would involve you having to wait for the official evasion iPhone jailbreak which is untethered, which I am sure will be on its way pretty, pretty soon!
Back to those of you who just can’t wait to learn how to jailbreak iOS 6.1; I am going to provide you with a simple step-by-step guide on how to go about your iOS jailbreak for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and the 4th generation of iPod Touch. You could use either Windows or the redsn0w application for Mac OS X.
- You will need to update your Apple product to iOS 6.1, as you normally would do.
- After you have done that, proceed to download iOS 6.0 IPSW for your device, and be sure to save the IPSW file you have downloaded onto an easily accessible file or onto your Desktop itself. Yes, this is the old firmware version which you are downloading!
- Go ahead and download Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 which can be suited for either Mac or Windows, and extract either one of the programs.
- Connect your iPod or iPhone to the computer directly, with the use of a USB cable, and continue to launch RedsnOw.
- Select the “Extras” button which appears on your screen, and click on “Select IPSW”. You will now need to locate the .ipsw firmware file which you had downloaded moments earlier.
- Head back to the initial RedsnOw screen once this has been done, and you can now click on the “Jailbreak” button which appears
- After doing this, you will need to turn off your iPhone or iPod, and from here on click “Next” when it appears, and you will be guided through the process on the screen with instructions on how to enable the DFU and activate the iPhone jailbreak process.
Once the iPhone jailbreak process is complete, you would need to reboot your Apple device and configure the settings based on the options you have chosen on RedsnOw. You have to take note that in the event that your iPhone, iPad or iPod runs out of battery, is switched off or restarted, you will have to repeat this step. It would otherwise affect some of your apps which you have, as well as Cydia. The steps for this is as follows:
- Cable up your iPad or iPhone and link it to your computer, and proceed to launch RedsnOw.
- Click on the “Extras” button, and select “Just Boot”, which will enable tethered assistance to boot your device.
- Upon completion, remove your iPad or iPhone.
I cannot reiterate enough on how important it is for you to use the RedsnOw application and redo the tethered assistance process in the event your phone is switched off at any point of time. This would rarely need to be done, and I know you may think that the requirement for access to a computer may be cumbersome but it is critical to have a fallback just in case. Again jailbreaking can go awry and lead to some serious problems with your iOS device including it being a brick, you are voiding warranty and support so you take your own risk by attempting these procedures.
Keep a lookout for the untethered Evasion iPhone jailbreak which is expected to arrive pretty darn soon!
About the Author
This article was written by Annette Rowena who took time to research the methods and provide tips to DragonBlogger.com readers who wanted to know how to jailbreak their iOS 6.1 iPhone or iPad.