Ever since its inception in the year 2009, Minecraft has taken the world by storm and continues to remain one of the most incredibly popular video games. Often referred to as ‘virtual Lego’, Minecraft allows players to create three-dimensional worlds by building and breaking apart various kinds of blocks. The importance of a server is fairly obvious to anyone who has dabbled in the Minecraft universe. Through servers, Minecraft players can share their virtual worlds and play the game with other users from anywhere across the globe. While many players opt to set up servers on their personal computers, it can be quite a cumbersome task. This is where remote Minecraft servers and server hosting providers come into the picture. Many advantages make Minecraft server hosting providers a worthwhile choice. Here are the top reasons why remote servers are a better alternative to self-hosted ones:
- 24/7 access: If you choose to set-up a Minecraft server on your computer, you will need to keep your machine powered at all times of the day. Otherwise, you will not be able to ensure that the server is accessible to players whenever they are active. This aspect gets eliminated when you opt for a remote server because server hosting providers guarantee a 24/7 network uptime and seamless access.
- Value for money: With a Minecraft server rental, you do not have to worry about the costs of keeping your computer powered at all times. Moreover, if you host the server on your computer, you may incur several additional costs like internet charges, cooling equipment, and component replacement. Opting for a remote Minecraft server works out to be considerably cheaper than running and managing a server on your own.
- Real-time support: Most online Minecraft server providers have an exceptional focus on client-centricity through 24/7 customer service. Any issues that a gamer may be facing are quickly resolved through real-time troubleshooting by experienced service administrators. This is far better than resolving glitches on your own, in case the self-hosted Minecraft server encounters an issue.
- Infrastructure reliability: To run a Minecraft server that you have hosted on your own, you will have to depend upon your residential internet connection. Often, private connections are not capable of providing optimum network quality for online gaming. Slow internet speed can lead to high latency and disrupt your gaming experience. To avoid such a scenario, it is best to opt for a server hosting provider. Remote Minecraft servers are hosted in the cloud and leverage high-quality, enterprise-grade internet networks for hassle-free connectivity.
- Gaming performance: Personal computers are used for a wide array of activities. A lot of the applications present on your computer could utilize a high amount of resource bandwidth and cause lags. However, with remote servers being completely dedicated to your game, you never have to worry about slow game-play.
- Data backups: For gamers who have poured their heart and soul into building and exploring their Minecraft world, losing game data is nothing short of a nightmare. Remote Minecraft servers routinely go through offsite backups, ensuring that your data is safe at all times.
- Security: Many game server providers proactively monitor for the smallest of DDoS attacks and mitigate such attacks automatically. This ensures that your server will never be forced offline by random attacks on public-facing servers.
- Value-added features: Most online Minecraft server hosting providers offer several value-added features in their portfolio. From plugin support to free sub-domains, these features aim at taking your gaming experience to the next level.
These are just some of the pros of using remote Minecraft servers. Contrary to popular belief, hosting Minecraft servers on your personal computer is not an easy job by any means. As you may have noted, it makes much more sense to opt for a server hosted online than to set one up on your own. For someone looking to save money and enhance their gaming experience at the same time, remote Minecraft servers are the ultimate choice.