Massively Multiplayer Online Games, also known as MMOs or MMOGs are essentially video games in which there are hundreds or thousands of simultaneous players, connected via the internet. While around ten years back these games were predominantly played on Personal Computers, all the new gaming consoles like the PSP, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DSi and Wii provide internet connectivity, and with much greater gaming control are gradually overtaking PCs in the MMO scene. In recent years, games developed especially for hand held mobile devices like the iPhone, Nokia, Blackberry and other high end devices based on Operating Systems like webOS, Windows Mobile, iOS and Android have acquired a significant share in the MMO market too.
What makes these MMOGs so addictive is the sense of meaningfully interacting with thousands of people halfway across the globe. Games like the World War II create an actual war-like simulation, while those like FIFA or Pro-Evolution Soccer reproduce an entire Soccer stadium virtually! Personally I am a huge fan of the FIFA, PES, Need For Speed as well as the Halo series of MMOGs. Beginning under a single umbrella, Massively Multiplayer Online Games have now grown into 15 distinct categories. While most games are never purely of a particular type, the various categories of MMOGs are:
- MMORPG: MMO Role Playing Games – Harry Potter
- MMOBA: MMO Battle Arena – League of Legends
- MMORTS: MMO Real Time Strategy Games – Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, War of Legends
- MMOFPS: MMO First Person Shooter Games – Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament, Halo, Planetside
- MMOSG(sports): MMO Sports Games – FIFA, Pro-Evolution Soccer
- MMOR: MMO Racing Games – Need for Speed, Drift City, Project Torque
- MMORG/MMODG: MMO Rythm/Music Games or MMO Dancing Games – Dance Dance Revolution, Audition Online
- MMOMG: MMO Management Games – The Sims Online, Monopoly City Streets, Virtonomics
- MMOSG(social): MMO Social Games – Second Life, Club Caribe, Everquest, Dotsoul, Furcadia
- MMOBBG/MMOBBRPG: MMO Bulletin Board Games or MMO Bulletin Board Role Playing Games – Quest For Magic, BladeMaster
- MMOPG: MMO Puzzle Games – Three Rings, Puzzle Pirates
- MMOCCG: MMO Collectible Card Games – Magic:The Gathering Online, Alteil, Astral Masters, Astral Tournament
- MMO alternate reality games – Second Life
- MMO Turn based Strategy Games – Ultracorps, Darkwind:War on Wheels
- MMO Simulation Games: Equilibrium/Arbitrage, The Sims Online, Jumpgate
As MMOs gain more popularity, most of the traditionally single player games are being developed into Multiplayer Online Games, with online communities, ranking charts and their own official gaming events!
If you are fascinated by or addicted to MMOGs, do share your favorites with us!
I’m a Generalist Researcher working on a Theory of Reality, Horticulturist, Blogger, Natural Systems Analyst and Amateur Architect