What is the best equipment to use for a beginner vlogger? Does it matter what kind of gear you have and what exactly you’re vlogging with? These are the best questions you can ask as a beginner.
Only a couple of years ago, when blogging and vlogging just gained the momentum, there was no a difference which type of camera you have. Since then, everything has changed. Today, if you’re serious about being a professional vlogger, you can choose the equipment depending on different things – budget, particular style of vlogging, camera features, etc. Choosing the right vlogging camera is the most important and the most difficult task for a beginner. Should you choose a basic starter kit or go for the travel and adventure pack?
Beginner’s Guide: What to Look for in a Vlog Camera?
If you’re thinking about starting a vlog, you have to pick a camera first. To make the right decision, you need to learn the issue from different points. Don’t go for the most expensive or the most popular camera right away. It doesn’t mean that a certain equipment will fit your style the same way it fits the style of your favorite vlogger.
So, let’s try to pick the best camera ever for you specifically.
- First of all, think about quality. What type of the production quality are you expecting to get in your videos? You have to understand that the more qualitative picture is going to cost more. So, analyze your budget. How much are you going to spend on the equipment? But don’t rush for the most expensive choice. As a beginner, you probably don’t need it yet. You can always upgrade a camera if you feel like your vlogging activity is going better and better and requires improvements.
- Where are you going to film? In the house? In the streets? At concerts? Or maybe while traveling?
- One of the best options for a beginner is to go with a smartphone and a selfies stick/mini tripod or with a GoPro or any other action camera that allows creating a qualitative picture on the go. A GoPro is super tiny and you can attach it almost everywhere.
- One of the most popular compact cameras for beginners is Sony rx100 or Canon g7x. But the downside of them is the absence of the external microphone input. At the same time, they provide you with really good quality. And that is probably more important for a blogger.
- A vlogging camera shouldn’t be too heavy if you’re planning to carry it around all day long. Pay attention to this small, but essential feature as well.
And remember that the most important thing about any vlog, no matter how big or small it is, is a story. It is a story behind a blog that makes the difference. So, don’t get upset if you can’t afford the best equipment yet. For a beginner, it is always better to start with a simple and cheap gear pack.