It’s hard to know what a good case is by a simple picture, and so many cases may look nice but once you get them it’s nothing like what you had imagined. I have reviewed quite a few cases, and even one from ThermalTake in the past and I was pleased when I had the opportunity to review this one, the ThermalTake Core X31.
Let’s first take a look at the features and spec’s of this one.
- Motherboard Support: Mini-ITX, Micro-ATX, ATX (but actually it will support a little larger, stay tuned to find out what I mean)
- Mid Tower
- Maximum GPU Length without HDD Cage: 16.5 inches / 420mm
- Maximum GPU Length with HDD Cage: 10.9 inches / 278mm
- Maximum PSU Length without bottom fan: 8.66 inches / 220mm
- Maximum PSU Length with one bottom Fan: 7.09 inches / 180mm
- Windowed Side panel
- 8 Expansion slots
- Drive Bays:
- 3 x 3.5in or 2.5in HD Cage
- 3 x 3.5in or 2.5in behind motherboard tray
- 2 x 2.5in on Power Supply Cover
- 2 x 5.25in
- 25in drive bays can be used for 2 x SSD’s each bay or 1 additional 3.5in drive in each bay
- External Connections
- 2 x USB 3.0
- 2 x USB 2.0
- 1 x Headphone Port
- 1 x Microphone Port
- Fan Mount Location and Sizes
- 1 x 200mm or 2 x 140mm (1 x Included) or 2 x 120mm
- 3 x 140mm or 3 x 120mm or 2 x 200mm
- 1 x 140mm (Included) or 2 x 120mm
- 2 x 120mm or 2 x 240mm
- Radiator Support
- 1 x 360mm or 1 x 280mm
- 360mm or 1 x 280mm
- 1 x 140mm or 1 x 120mm
- 1 x 140mm or 1 x 120mm
- 3 Year Warranty
- Weight: 18.70lbs
- Dimensions: H:20.10″ x W:9.80″ x D:19.50″
OK, enough with those, they might be a good reference to come back to later, but let’s see what comes inside of the box.
It has tons of options for HD’s, fans and radiators and I will go into that a little later in the review. Let’s explore what was in the box to make sure it has everything you need for a build.
To start off with, it does come with the user’s manual which goes over what is included in the box, warranty information and some basics on how to build a PC with it, very basic of course.
And the warranty policy, which of course goes over the warranty.
Aside from those, came a bag that contained all of screws and accessories, I will break them down individually as well.
22 x Motherboard or 2.5”HDD screws
2 x Stand-Offs and 1 x Nut Setter. The Nut Setter is such a great little tool and I will explain a little later on what it does and how handy it is.
Adhesive rubber washers for mechanical hard drives (noise reduction)
5 x Cable Ties
4 x Case fan screws
12 x 3.5HDD Screws
4 x Power Supply screws
1 x PC Speaker
That’s about it for the included accessories; now let’s get to the case itself.