How the use of AI technology has helped Facebook tackle hate speech and YouTube create an infinite music video

We are influencers and brand affiliates.  This post contains affiliate links, most which go to Amazon and are Geo-Affiliate links to nearest Amazon store.

Over the past few years, Artificial Intelligence has gained significant momentum. It has provided organizations who have been open to using it and implementing it in their business, an advantage over those who are not. The graph below outlines some of the main reasons why businesses decide to adopt the use of AI in 2017.

(Source- Statista)

The attraction for AI technology is that it is capable of managing large amounts of data in many ways whilst processing business transactions, acting as personal assistance and providing technical services. In today’s world, there have been many uses for AI technology which has evolved to handle a variety of tasks, but how can it be used in social media?

AI is a key component that is used on many popular social media sites and platforms. It has the ability to deliver, via its machine learning capabilities, facial recognition in pictures, provide users content they would be interested in and offer job recommendations whilst suggesting people you may want to connect with. Snapchat uses AI in a different way as the technology is able to track your facial features and apply filters onto them.

AI is a big part of how today’s social media platforms perform and across all sites, it is able to learn the content that is placed onto it. This can be important at identifying comments and content that can be damaging; AI could help end online bullying and nasty comments. The graph below shows the percentage of teenagers who encountered hate speech online in 2018 which has risen year on year.

(Source- Statista)


Facebook, one of the world’s most used social media platform is using AI to help tackle hate speech. They claim to be using technology that can, in real-time, proactively spot about 95% of hate content which is then taken down. There are some comments that can be hard to interpret, and this discrepancy is the remaining 5%, but all in all their AI seems to be working and doing a good job.

Facebook has said it’s AI technology has detected and removed 22.1 million pieces of content it claimed as hate speech so far in 2020. This figure is up on last year where they reported their AI took down 6.9 million pieces of content. Using AI technology in this way not only makes social media platforms safe for all but also as the age of smart device users get younger there’s a real need to keep them safe.

Facebook, like many other social media platforms, relies on AI technology and human aid to help tackle the ever-growing amounts of content supplied daily by users. The task is never-ending, and due to the number of users, it’s an impossible task to be done solely by humans.


Although YouTube is a platform of its own, unlike any other, the AI used on it is aimed at creating creative content that is more interactive and entertaining. Thanks to AI technology, the platform was able to create an infinite music video to celebrate Billie Eilish’s song ‘Bad Guy’ hitting a billion video streams.

It is thought to be the world’s first infinite video and consists of a non-stop video full of fans covering her song. The video consists of short clips which are randomly placed together, creating a new visual video every time it is viewed. The AI technology is able to recognise the structure of the song and string the clips together to fit together, seamless timed.

The infinite video is not actually infinite, but YouTube has said there are approximately 1.46×10^100 years of possible video combinations. This means it would be impossible for a person to see the same video in the exact form twice in the same sequence more than once in their lifetime.

The video has been created with over 10.5 million seconds of digital content and is an experiment to see how well-received it is.

AI technology has most definitely opened up the scope for a range of different and new ways of working. We have seen its implementation in the production of cars and in cars, making them safer to drive on roads. AI has the capabilities to change the future in a range of different sectors such as Media, Transport, Manufacturing, Customer Service and the most importantly Healthcare.

As we begin to see positive signs of the covid vaccine from trials, AI could begin to work hand in hand with its distribution. AI technology could also be used to help roll out vaccines for all, making the process of receiving and knowing who has been vaccinated smoother for healthcare professionals.

We are influencers and brand affiliates.  This post contains affiliate links, most which go to Amazon and are Geo-Affiliate links to nearest Amazon store.