Online gaming is not a novel concept to anybody in the virtual world. It’s omnipresent and is enjoyed by people of all age groups (even the not-so-tech-savvy who may not be using Internet browsers but love playing games online!)
Now, just like a million varieties available in gaming apps, there are different types of gamers too. Of course, considering that each person playing games online comes with a plethora of different tastes and choices in games.
Without delving too deep into it, we’d just like to highlight the two main varieties prominent in the gaming community – those who love single-player solitary games (perhaps as a means to escape the daily hustle-bustle of life and slip into “me-time” zone).
The other is what we like to define as the more “active” gaming community – one which likes to interact – talk, chat, video call, video chat and try all other means of latest methods to play, enjoy and get involved with other similar gamers out there.
For this segment of the gaming society, we have good news. You can now avail one of the most popular and trending communication tool in the online gaming industry – Discord, something that the techies are referring to as the WhatsApp for Gamers!
What is Discord?
Besides being compared to WhatsApp, a lot of people like to refer to Discord as ‘Skype’ for those who love to play game online. This is because the service facilitates communication as well as coordination between multiple players, much like what Skype does outside of the gaming world. This interaction is made possible over private servers which enable both text and voice chat between players.
Features of Discord
The tool is catching fire among millions of online gamers, who love this innovative way of playing games whilst communicating with like-minded people. Here are its top features:
- The Discord app is perfectly compatible with both desktop and mobile platforms, meaning you can use the service to enjoy gaming on your PC and smartphone both.
- The tool has been designed in a way that it superbly combines the advantages of a chat lobby, message board, and VoIP chatting system into one single app. You can Interact with bots as well. What’s more, despite this, the app in no way use large memory space or resources on your desktop or mobile!
- Discord allows its users to host a server absolutely free of cost. What this means for the user is that they can directly sign in into the desired server and start using the service without having to spend a lot of time setting up a group call.
How to Use Discord?
It’s super simple. Just follow the steps below –
- Download the Discord App from the official website of the company. You may also choose to download Discord’s web or mobile app, if you so wish.
- To become a registered user, enter a valid email address, phone number, and create a unique user name for yourself.
- For first-time users, Discord offers a complete tutorial; there are other useful tips on the app too which would help you start using it.
Why Discord is Useful for Gamers
These are just a handful of reasons why you should get the app, based on what people are talking –
- You can join any server or even create your own. So if you’re a Minecraft fan, you can join the public server of “Minecraft” and start playing and interacting with a million others like you.
- You can add friends from numerous friend suggestions on display, text them even outside of the server (to interact privately), or block direct unwanted messages. You get instant notifications too just like other chat/voice apps. And, there’s free phone chat too!
- Its in-game overlay lets you view the player that’s talking while the game is on. This makes it more interesting and interactive.
- It’s 100% secure. Just like WhatsApp, there are auto-encrypted chats and other user data.
So, if you want to be a part of a group that plays your favourite game and just hang out with a group of concurring online friends, Discord is the place to be.