Owning a smartphone is necessary for this day and age, and with the wide range of products available, it’s become as easy as ever to own one. Several smartphones are available in the market, and every phone offers a different variety of features. A smartphone is an investment and, before you choose one and buy it, it’s essential to consider various factors. Here’s what you should focus on before purchasing a smartphone:
While there are many smartphone makers across the world, it’s always the ones that are well-known that are the most reliable. This is simply because such brands have excellent compatibility and have undergone extensive testing and optimization for apps and networks. The most popular smartphone makers currently include Apple, Samsung, and Google.
While considering different brands, it’s essential to focus on a brand’s reputation. Just because a brand is selling its smartphones at a lower price, doesn’t make it worth it. The brand should be credible enough to use. Additionally, go for a brand that’s known for the longevity of its model. While Samsung and Apple phones are on the pricier end, you do get their full use if you use these for a couple of years after you purchase them.
Lastly, you should ideally stick to the same platform you’re used to since that makes the transition easier. While you can switch from Android to iOS and vice versa, it’s much easier to transfer your data from an old phone if it’s in the same format from the same platform. Lastly, you won’t need to adjust to a new operating system when you make a switch.
On the other hand, if all you’re planning to do with your phone is text and talk on calls, you can get away with a simple purchase, such as a flip phone.
Android is currently the most popular operating system because Android phones can be customized according to one’s preferences. Apple’s iOS is also a popular operating system that many users prefer to use due to the wide range of features offered. Which operating system you should go for largely depends on what you require from it.
Size & Screen
In recent years, the size of an average phone has gradually increased to account for the various features new smartphones include. When you’re evaluating different screen options, there are several things you should focus on:
- Look for a phone that is at least 1080p if it’s a 4.7″ screen. The resolution should be higher for a larger screen.
- If you have the habit of using your phone with just one hand, you should ideally go for a midsized phone.
- If you’re planning on playing games or watching videos on your phone, you should choose a phone that has a high resolution. Paired up with the best headphones, a large screen with high resolution can make such tasks truly enjoyable.
- The phone’s brightness should be adjustable enough to offer different settings. Contrast and brightness ensure that using the phone won’t put too much strain on your eyes.
Once upon a time, you could get away with a phone that offered just a few MBs of storage. That’s not the case today. Smartphones are being used for a variety of things, including listening to music, shooting movies and photos, and playing games. These tasks require storage, and you’ll easily need a phone that offers more than 16 GB storage.
If you’re planning on downloading a few games and storing your favorite music on your phone, then you should get a phone with at least 64 GB storage. For more demanding requirements, such as photos and videos, 128 GB storage would be ideal.
Previously, the megapixel quality of a camera was the only indicator of its quality. Today, however, a smartphone’s camera is defined by many features. A smartphone’s camera is one of its most important offerings, and if you’re someone who loves taking photos and videos, the specifications of a camera should be essential to you.
Of a camera’s feature, here are four aspects you should focus on:
- ISO level: A measure of the camera’s sensitivity to light, a higher ISO level creates finer and clearer photos.
- Aperture: This is the size of the hole that lets light reach a camera’s sensor — the greater the aperture, the better the picture quality.
- OIS level: optical image stabilization decreases the blurriness in photos and allows you to take pictures of moving objects.
- Dual rear cameras: Two cameras at the back of the phone create greater depth in photos.
Apart from these core features, you should also look for other features in a smartphone, including filters, smartphones, beauty modes, and different effects.
There is a huge variety of smartphones to choose from. Today, with the versatility that smartphones offer, it’s no surprise that smartphones can potentially cost you as much as a brand new laptop. With the wide range of features they offer, people can sometimes make do without a laptop altogether!
Regardless, looking for a smartphone and deciding on it should be easy if you know what your budget is and what features you’re precisely looking for. To make a sound decision, it’s vital to explore the different options you have available and to try these options yourself in-store. With extensive research, you’ll quickly make a decision that’ll pay off in the years to come.
What do you focus on before purchasing a smartphone? Let us know in the comments below!