Final Thoughts and Conclusion
I previously review the Cougar Attack X3 4IS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard and this keyboard is almost identical. The multimedia keys are a little different, mainly the fact that they removed the separate Volume Up/Down/Mute keys and functioned them onto the F7~F8 keys. I preferred them, but it’s nothing you can’t get used to.
Out of the box, I loved the way this keyboard felt with the aluminum faceplate, it just feels so nice and cool, literally.
It took me a bit to get used to the Red Switches, I like my clickies but actually I kind of liked it. It’s a soft and cushy button push and my typing was not affected.
They resolved the issue I had previously that the Cougar Attack X3 4IS only came with Red LED lights, this keyboard has all 16.8Million colors. While I loved the Rainbow effect, it seems that there is no way to have the keyboard shine a single color, it has to radiate through them all. Maybe this is something they can resolve through a firmware update, though odd that it does not come on here by default.
3 things this keyboard needs to be perfect, 2 of them actually are not very common and one of them should be.
- This keyboard, especially taking up 2 USB ports does not offer a USB hub, you would think since it is taking additional power, they would be able to divert some of the extra power to another device.
- This could be potentially resolved with the additional USB port but there should be some 3.5mm headphone/microphone jacks on here and finally Apple.
- Even though I am not an Apple fan at all, I do believe that they should build support for Apple, not only make Mac users happy but so that they can make some more money.
So, let’s check out the Pros and Cons:
- Pricing is on point with named brand options
- Braided cable
- RGB LED Backlit
- Offers 9 modes of lighting
- Programmable Keys
- Multi-Media Keys
- High Quality Components
- Brushed Aluminum
- High variety of Cherry MX Switches (Red, Black, Blue and Brown)
- Optional Software Install: Does not require software to utilize all of the features
- Takes up 2 USB Ports.
- No USB Hub
- No 3.5mm Headphone/Microphone Jack
- No Apple Support
- Cannot select a single color
While I would have loved to have seen the USB HUB and 3.5mm jacks as a reviewer the keyboard would have taken a hit in pricing. The Apple support while nice cannot be taken away from the keyboard since it is not advertised to support Mac but it would have been nice but the biggy is the fact that it takes 2 USB ports.
This is an amazing keyboard but the fact that it takes up 2nd USB port and that even though you have the choice between 16.8 million colors to marvel at, you cannot actually leave the keys lit in a single color. If you like blue, they cannot all be blue, you have to cycle through all the colors, a bit of an oversight. The pricing is a bit high but being that it does have the aluminum faceplate and still comes in cheaper than the known name brands makes it a good choice. I want to give this 5 Stars, but it has to get passed either the 2 USB ports or color, the color one being the easiest to address.
With this, I give the Cougar Attack X3 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard 4 out of 5 Stars but a recommended buy.
I have spent many years in the PC boutique name space as Product Development Engineer for Alienware and later Dell through Alienware’s acquisition and finally Velocity Micro. During these years I spent my time developing new configurations, products and technologies with companies such as AMD, Asus, Intel, Microsoft, NVIDIA and more. The Arts, Gaming, New & Old technologies drive my interests and passion. Now as my day job, I am an IT Manager but doing reviews on my time and my dime.