You may have multiple PCs that you use daily, and have important files that you often need but those files are not in your laptop or office computer, but in your home machine and you are not around. Your home PC probably has all the files, apps, that you’ll want to ever access. You can access every bit of information from anywhere around the world as long as you have an internet connection on both your devices (The PC you want to access, and the one you will be accessing it with). I’ve earlier also told you how to Remotely access your Android device from anywhere.
There are a lot of ways to remotely access your PC, be it the built-in OS feature(s) or any other Software, some are cross platform while others are device specific. In this post I will list my favorite and yet easiest methods to remotely access your PC. All of these software programs are free for personal use but offer paid versions with more features and control over the air.
TeamViewer (Cross platform, free for personal use)
TeamViewer is a great software when it comes to remote access. Its cross platform, free, and you don’t need to be a tech-savvy to install and use it. Below are the steps that would get you going in no time!
To remotely access your PCs
- Head to their homepage and download it for all your devices you want to access. You can also download their app for mobile devices, Mac, Linux, and Windows these direct links.
- Once you have download the app(s), shoot it up and login and if you don’t have an account, just create one.
- Now you should see all your devices, to remote control a device, just double click on it and it will create a remote session for you in no time.
To remotely access someone else’s PC
- To remotely access anyone else’s PC (assuming they have TeamViewer installed on their machine), just ask them their unique ID and Password.
- Now that you know their ID and Password, enter the same in Partner ID field to start a remote session.
Using TeamViewer is a piece of cake, whether you want to access your machines or another’s.
Join.me (free, Instant remote session, cross platform)
Join.me by LogMeIn is a tiny app that lets you share your screen with upto 9 persons at a time with a unique one time 9 digit code. You can easily control any other machine even without downloading the app, by simply going on their website and entering the code in Join meeting field. Its free version offers many features like internet calling, share control, multi-monitor, chat, …etc while the Pro version offers many more advanced features like up to 250 participants, recording, annotation, unified audio & int’l conference lines and many more.
To start a remote session with Join.me
- You can download the Join.me client app from here. (available for mac, windows, iPod, iphone, iPad, Android)
- Now, after installing Join.me, just open the app and select whether you want to share your screen or join a session.
- Now you can just choose whether you want to share using your personal link or a one time code.
I find join.me perfect for remote-tech-support, (I myself use it to help my not so tech savvy freinds…), or to instanly sharinge your screen with your collegue for any presentation or similar, …etc.
OS’s Inbuilt features for remote sessions
Windows to Windows
You can also start a remote session in windows without downloading any additional software by using the Remote Desktop Connection tool which offers you high level of control, but you will need Windows Professional edition or above to use this feature.
Mac to Mac
You can start a remote session without downloading any extra software in Mac too, by using it’s Screen sharing feature easily.
Now you can easily access all your machines no matter where you are and which device you have. All the above apps/features are free for personal use and offer great set of features which you will ever need in most cases. If you know any method to share your screen that you think should be in this guide, or want to ask something, do let us all know via the comments section below!